Re: EGT measurements

To: brian@uunet.ca, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: EGT measurements
From: WMW79@aol.com
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 17:42:30 EDT
My only experience with EGT has been with airplanes and what you do there is
establish cruise power, then lean it until you reach max temp. and then back
off a few degrees by richening the mixture slightly.  It's been nearly 30
years and I don't remember the numbers anymore, but I do remember that the
peak temps. were not always the same, obviously influenced by ambient
conditions.  Also here, you're looking for max economy rather than power. At
one time I had an exhaust gas analyzer and I attemped to adjust the Weber
carbs on my street Alfa so that the needle would be in the green zone. I
found that tho this worked with my Volvo sedan (SU carbs), the Alfa would
hardly run in that range. I came to the conclusion that Webers don't mix the
air and fuel very well and must be run rich in order to create good power.
So. my point is, if you had an EGT on you engine, how would you interpet the
results?
Bill