Re: TOWING

To: Richard Hardison <cobra@airmail.net>, Bob Schmitt
Subject: Re: TOWING
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 15:21:51 -0500
When I put a cap on my 94 Dodge pickup, I calculated that the gas savings
would pay for the cap in about 60,000 miles.  the effect on towing was also
significant - the open bed seemed to cause the airflow to tumble down an
catch more of the trailer than normal, while the cap seemed to keep the air
attached to the top of the cap, jumping directly to the top of the trailer.
FWIW.

Now I use a van to tow.

Brian

At 02:36 PM 1/16/01 -0500, Richard Hardison wrote:
>Bob,
>
>I forgot to mention that my Wells Cargo trailer does have a nose cone.
>I don't see much change at all.  Have wondered if an enclosure over the
>bed or a wind spoiler on top of the truck would help, but don't find the
>problem worth the effort.
>
>Richard
>
>Bob Schmitt wrote:
> >
> > Richard's mention of wind resistance causes me to ask the question of is
> > there any experience with the "Nose Cone"? I have a brochure from Nose Cone
> > in Buena Park. I saw one recently in Daytona. The owner was very pleased
> > with its result.Any thoughts would be helpful.
> > Bob Schmitt

Brian Evans
Director, Strategic Accounts
UUNET, A WorldCom Company