Re: MGB Brake Pads

To: "list" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>, "MalcolmCox"
Subject: Re: MGB Brake Pads
From: "Kelvin Palmer" <KelvinPalmer@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 06:51:12 -0600
YOU WROTE:
> I am trying to sort through MGB brake pad choices.
> 1) Victoria British "competion brake pad set"
> 2) VicBrit MGC brake pad set, (25% larger)
> 3) Moss brake pad set, high performance semi-metallic
> 4) Moss "oversize" brake pads, presumably MGC style
> 5) Various Hawke blends
> 6) Various Porterfield blends

I own both an MGC street car and an MGB racer.  The pad and caliper design
is
completely different.  Unless you are talking about somehow swapping
calipers too
I don't see the two being  compatible.  The B pad is somewhat eliptical ,
the C pad
is quite rectangular.  The B pad is retained by pins against the edge of the
pad, the
C pad is retained by pins through holes in the pad.  Looking at them I don't
think the
actual friction area is all that much different in area size anyway.  I
believe MGB
calipers are Lockheed, the C uses Girling.

I have purchased competition B pads from Vicky Brit and each time have been
supplied something different.  If you like what you get you won't
necessarily get the
same thing a second time. I now use Hawke BLUE pads for the MGB I purchase
from
Pegusus in Winconsin (I'm sure you can get them various other places).  They
work
great!  I'm not familiar with "oversize" pads available for MGBs.

If you or others know something I don't about B/C pad compatability that I
don't ,
PLEASE LET ME KNOW!

Kelvin Palmer
Riverwoods, IL