Re: What went wrong?

To: "Carl McLelland" <carlmcle@saturnnet.com>,
Subject: Re: What went wrong?
From: Bob Spruck <bspruck@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 21:21:25 -0500
Carl:
I had a similar problem with my ' 67 Midget at the Atlanta Historics a few
weeks ago. I lost all power going into turn one, but had no strange noises
or warning. I turned off the accusump, raised my arm, and pulled safely off
the track on the inside of turn two. With eight laps to figure what the
problem was, I decided it must be electrical. After the checker was thrown,
I climbed back over the wall and popped the hood. All the wires looked
intact but I gave them a push anyway. As the tow truck pulled up, I turned
the ignition on and everything worked normally. I drove back to my paddock
with no problems.

The culprit was the low tension lead from the coil to the distributor. The
spade connector didn't come off the distributor, the wire crimped into the
end of the connector came out! It was an  easy fix, of course, but not easy
to find.