Re: VSCCA Eligibility

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: VSCCA Eligibility
From: "Mark Palmer" <mgvrmark@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 02:15:09 GMT

>From: Dick Waite <dwaite@reboxx.com>
>I can only
>speculate as to why some 1959 cars are ok and some are not. I've heard
>the same rumors and theories as some of you may but I've never read or
>been told by an official how the decisions are made.

Listers,

Like Dick, I have no official capacity within VSCCA.  But the club by-laws
state that the purpose of the club is to encourage the restoration,
preservation, and use of "rare and unusual" cars.  So that is the yardstick
that the Car Classification Committee uses, to decide whether to accept a
particular post-war model -- it must be "rare & unusual" (virtually all
Pre-war cars are eligible).

Of course, that immediately leads to a discussion of what is rare & unusual
... Porsches, Alfas, Healey 100-4's and MG's were thought to be rare &
unusual enough to merit acceptance.  Corvettes were proposed, but not
accepted.  To my knowledge, no one has yet proposed the Sprite, or the
TR2/TR3 for that matter.

Dick & I don't make the rules, so don't shoot us.  Just trying to shed a
little light, as I understand it.  VSCCA is quite different from the other
groups that organize vintage events, and it's not for everyone -- but I
happen to like the club very much.

Regards,
Mark Palmer