Re: air boxes

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: air boxes
From: AnalogMike@aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 11:39:47 EDT
"Steve Schaeffer" <borrani@att.net> wrote :

Whew, we could talk all week about period cold-air systems, especially those
of us who fancied American musclecars growing up.  Hell, I owned a '70 W-31
Olds in high school, surely among the more wild forced air induction systems
(specifically the W-25 Cold Air Option on the Olds).  I like how the late
'60's GTO's with their Ram Air IV options had a lever inside to close off
its snorkels in case of foul weather.

What were other people's favorite systems?  Did you favor the brute force of
a wide late '60's Hemi Charger's scoop, or the zany '69 Rambler Scrambler,
complete with decals telling the air which way to go, or the more subtle
base-of-the-windshield variants as on the Series 1 ZL-1 Camaros...? <<

My 1970 Javelin 390 "Mark Donahue" edition (rear spoiler, blue with
white stripes), had a big set of "non-subtle" nostrils on the hood.
There was a flap which held the nostrils on the scoop closed
via vaccuum. When you punched it, you lost vacuum and the
flap would open, letting in lots of cold air and letting out some
awesome sounds! My original 345 HP 390 V8 blew, so I put
in a 1970 Rebel Machine engine which was AMC's best ever.

The funny part of the scoop was the finish on the hood. It appeared
to be a factory paint job, but the whole scoop area was built-up
with filler, for no apparent reason. After removing the body filler
the scoop was fine underneath. The filler had caused most of the
paint on the hood to crack.

I drove the car at Lime Rock in 1980. The 1/4 mile gears
were not great for the track- I hit top speed before pit-in
and coasted the rest of the straight. I still miss that car...

Regards, mike piera  AnalogMike@aol.com  '72 911S Targa, '73 911RS Replica

www.analogman.com/911 - my racing pages

 ~^v^~ aNaLoG.MaN ~^v^~  vintage guitars   www.analogman.com