Re: Vintage racer: What car to buy?

To: jfcowan@pacbell.net
Subject: Re: Vintage racer: What car to buy?
From: RodsINTOMG@aol.com
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 21:28:38 EST
John,

I waited a little to let the smoke clear before I responded to you posting.
I started vintage racing about three years ago with an MGB because MGs are
what I know about.  I have owned MGs for over 30 years and think I know them
extensively, especially the MGB.  When I started vintage racing, I restored a
'64 MGB roadster with a factory hardtop as a LeMans/Sebring factory car.  I
got the car for free and with alot of trading etc.,  I know I have over $12k
involved.

Last Summer I took the TRC racing course at Russell Racing School at Sears
Point.  If I were to begin vintage racing today after only having taken the
course,  my choices for a racecare would be: Entry level: Formula Vee at
about 4k to 6k or better yet a Formula Ford for about 10k plus.  You can't
drive them on the street but once you trick out your production racer you
won't want to drive that on the street either.  My MGB with a full-race motor
and close ratios is very uncooperative on the street.

Consider taking a course on the track you expect to drive on and I think you
may very well get a handle on the right car for your vision of racing.

Rod Schweiger

n a message dated 1/24/00 9:40:14 PM Pacific Standard Time,