Re: Vintage racer: What car to buy?

To: John Cowan <jfcowan@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: Vintage racer: What car to buy?
From: Simon Favre <simon@mondes.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 11:28:26 -0800
Yes, this is a frequently asked question. There is no single correct
answer one could put in a FAQ, however.

One question to ask yourself is whether you plan to get your feet wet
in one car and eventually move up to another, or settle on one car or
type of car throughout. There are a number of cars that are widely
available that might not be quite vintage eligible among the groups
that race at your chosen tracks (Laguna and Sears). The vintage clubs
that operate at these 2 tracks are CSRG and HMSA, both of which are
fairly picky about car eligibility. If vintage is your goal, and you
want to settle on one car now, pick one from 1965 or earlier for the
maximum eligibility. 1967 is OK in CSRG, but generally not OK in HMSA.
Commonly available cars that won't get you true vintage eligibility
include the Datsun 240Z or 510, a Mazda RX-7, or a Porsche 914. For a
beginner's car that has tons of parts available, plenty of experts to
draw info from, and good handling, the Datsun 510 is not a bad choice.
It's also a car you could bang up while learning and not feel too bad
about. The other advantage of learning in a newer car is that the SCCA
groups you end up in might be more evenly matched. A true vintage car
may not be as competitive in current SCCA classes, even for Solo I. A
car that is competitive in SCCA might have to be "put back" in time to
be vintage again. That's OK as long as you accept the expense of doing
that.

If you want a car with more style, history, and eligibility, then a 60's
Alfa is a great choice. Expect to pay more for a well-sorted Alfa than
say, a Triumph. A Triumph or MG might be a good way to get in a little
cheaper and still get the eligibility. A '65 Mustang might also be a good
choice for a beginner, but don't expect to get into the big events when
there are real GT-350's around. I'm surprised Brother Myles didn't try
to get you into a Cortina. ;=)

There are also other options for getting your feet wet. There is a club
called Green Flag that operates in a format similar to SCCA Solo I. They
do events at Laguna, and some Southern California tracks. Ditto for the
Alfa Romeo Owners Club of So Cal (AROSC). They run time trials at Laguna
and the So Cal tracks, and they don't require you to bring an Alfa. The
SCCA Street School is also quite a bargain, I'm told. There are other
marque clubs as well for Porsche, BMW, etc.