LR Fall Festival

To: "'vintage-race@autox.team.net'" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: LR Fall Festival
From: Kerry Seibert <ckchapel@fast.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 15:54:45 -0500
Sorry to be clogging-up everyone's boxes with gobbledygook.  Will try one more
time to finish this up . . .

...........But it's refreshing to see that many of you/us are
concerned/passionate enough to be having this discussion.  I agree we must not
overreact or start wearing black armbands sounding the death-knell of the Fall
Festival.  I have no direct observations of HSR and I too can only relate
second-hand stories, rumor, and gossip - dangerous indeed.  One concern I have
is that I am not convinced that HSR has much interest in Pre-War cars.  I think
that the PW cars and their drivers are in integral/indispensable part of the
Festival.  I too worry about "the perception" that everyone will or will have
to up their driving a notch or two.  I worry that the emphasis will be on
"winged widgets" and IMSA-type cars (and with apologies to those of you who run
those cars, I mean no offense, and I DO enjoy watching them at vintage events)
at the expense of us grass-roots, common ordinary production sportscars.  I
would love to get some input from those of you who run regularly with HSR, are
we all off-base here? Comments would also be welcome from the HSR staff itself.
 I hope you realize the jewel you hold in your hand.  The Fall Festival really
is unique in its heritage/character/ambience and deserves a better fate than
denigrating into just another mega-event.

Yes, I guess I'm just a hopeless Romantic, clinging naively to my thoughts
about what vintage racing cars and drivers should be.  My car is still more
street than track.  Two days after LR, it was off with the Goodyears, part of
my rollbar, and the aeroscreens, and on the road for a hour's drive to meet
friends for dinner.  Yet, I sense there are many more hopeless Romantics out
there and you are concerned not only about LR but also the direction and
philosophy of vintage racing in general.

Reactionarily yours,  Craig Seibert    1968 Morgan +8    #611      Duff Morgan
Racing
                               SVRA mem. 1750

PS  I just love Peter Krause's statement:  ". . . . . . .vintage racing is a
test of skill and manners."
+