LR Fall Festival

To: "'vintage-race@autox.team.net'" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: LR Fall Festival
From: Kerry Seibert <ckchapel@fast.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 18:48:55 -0500
After twenty+ years as a vintage spectator/groupie, I finally realized a
long-term ambition and during 98-99 I did my schools, entered a few events, and
got my license.  All this at the ripe old age of say, late fortyish. I must say
that my heart and head leaned towards the VSCCA as their philosophy and
behavior most aligned with what my views and expectations of what vintage
racing should and would be but alas, my Morgan was "too new" and thus out of
necessity I joined and participate with the SVRA.  This is no complaint, nor am
I  disappointed. The SVRA has been great so far: helpful, supportive,
enthusiastic, friendly, and they run at all the tracks that I (in the NE) care
to run at.  Certainly there have been instances where I know they are a little
more intense than I had hoped to be but I have stayed focused on what my goals
and abilities are and I am tickled pink to be finally out there. Imagine my
wide-eyed enjoyment as I participated in my first Fall Festival as a
participant.  After 16 years as a spectator, it still took a while for it all
to sink in.  I was there with my car, renewing old acquaintances, greeting
interested spectators, enjoying the company and advice/encouragement of my new
neighbors in B paddock.  The old girl didn't miss a beat all weekend and except
for the monsoonal rain on Monday, I'd have to say the weekend was everything,
and more, that I had fantasized about.  So .. . . . . . insomuch as I have only
a grand total of four races under my belt, I hesitate sometimes to offer up any
insight or comments, but . . . . . .

I must say I greeted the news about HSR's involvement with some apprehension.
I thought at first it might have to do with Charlie Gibson's move to VIR.  Then
I thought, why wouldn't the SVRA take over, insomuch as they seem to be the de
facto "big" group in the NE, I thought HSR was the South/SE group.  Is there a
turf war going on (or continuing) here?  Then I thought I was overreacting and
imagining things.  But it's refreshing to see that many of you/us are