120volt inverters?

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: 120volt inverters?
From: MHKitchen@aol.com
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 21:04:25 EST
Brian:

The inverter works great for small power tools (like the impact), but they
don't work so well for flourescent lights.  I tried that on my enclosed
trailer, and they'd just blink and wouldn't start.  It has to do with the
square wave that the inverters put out (not like what the lights and ballasts
are expecting).

You can get them at various electronics supply and camping/RV retailers.
Here in CA, Fry's Electronics is a big computer/electronics store, and that's
where I got mine...about $150 for a 600W unit.  They come much smaller, down
to less than 100W (for laptops), and larger (up to 1KW or more).  The larger
they are, the faster they run down the battery (obviously).  The 600W seemed
like the right size for most of my tool needs.  BTW, my old generator that
powered my trailer (now sold to Don Queen) was only 675W.  It was enough for
the lights and small tools, but not big enough for a modest size air
compressor.  I finally found a small airbrush style compressor that would run
off the generator (or now the inverter) and pump up the air tank.  It take it
about 10 -15 minutes to get it to 100+ psi, but that's fine.

FYI...

Myles H. Kitchen
1965 Lotus Cortina Mk1 #128