120volt inverters?

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: 120volt inverters?
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 18:00:48 -0500
Someone in a recent post mentioned a 600 watt inverter that he used to
power an electric impact wrench from a car battery.  I'm curious about
these - they would be ideal to provide power inside the trailer at the
track, maybe run a few lights and a radio, etc.  What are they, how do they
work, where do you get them, how big can you get them?  I hate running the
generator just to power up a few little things - I save that for my
compressor.  Which powers my air impact wrench.  Go figger  :-)

Thanks much, Brian