Re: Corner Workers

To: Jimmysmth@aol.com
Subject: Re: Corner Workers
From: "John A. Rollins" <nobozos@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 09:03:56 -0800
Here in South Florida we are acutely aware of the "worker shortage"
problem and all they do for us since there are races pretty much
year-round - and a lot of them!  You could probably find some race to
work almost every weekend and stay within the state boundaries.

I consider it's a given that we cannot do enough to properly show our
gratitude but we need to remind the workers every so often that we
appreciate their efforts to our benefit.  The Florida Regions Vintage
group has an on-going worker appreciation fund which is contributed to
on a voluntary basis by the drivers and other Vintage participants.  One
year we sponsored 5 of the workers by paying their annual dues for a
year (truly a win-win arrangement).  Other times a victory lap for all
the Vintage cars was made with a car stopping at each flag station to
give the workers some token award for their work.  We also contribute to
the various worker parties with cash and giveaways of various sorts.  I
still believe that the most effective thanks may be the physical
presence of the drivers at the Saturday night worker party where you can
pour them a beer and thank them in person; the personal touch goes a
long way and you further benefit by getting to know some very fine and
funny people!  (Disclaimer: yes, I did meet my wife at one of these
parties some 11 years ago so I may be biased!)

We're still looking for ideas - our next project may be funding the
worker shelters once the course design changes at the local track are
finalized.  My advice is simply to thank them as often as you can and in
person if possible.  Don't forget that wave on the cool-down lap - it's
a true sign of thanks and mutual admiration.

*8o)

John A. Rollins, Vintage Race Coordinator
Florida Region, SCCA