tech: noise reduction

To: "'vintage race list'" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: tech: noise reduction
From: Gavin Ivory <G_Ivory@beutel-can.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 11:19:45 -0500
For a bunch of different reasons, I need to lower the noise levels on a
vintage race 914-6. It currently runs 2 x [3-into-1] straight thrus, ending
with megaphones [exit diameter 3"]. Our local builder has a proven set-up:
he sections-in two small Flowmasters. He's dyno'd the results, and claims
less than 2% power loss. The question is: Does anyone know if welding-on two
Supertrapp 5" disc sets will get decent results too?? The issue is that the
Flowmaster set-up carries a steep total price tag, especially relative to
the value of the car!
Many thanks,
Gavin Ivory