Re: VDCA

To: JHarkness@aol.com, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: VDCA
From: DWhitesdJr@aol.com
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 10:02:13 EST
In a message dated 11/1/99 6:25:03 PM Central Standard Time,
JHarkness@aol.com writes:

<< Received in the mail today an invite to a vintage race at Roebling Road in
 December, put on by the Vintage Driver's Club of America.  Had not heard of
 them before.  Anyone on the list have any input as to who they are,
 objectives, funding, etc.? >>

John--

The Vintage Drivers Club of America is an attempt to return to the origins of
vintage racing.  We plan to form a nonprofit club for the purpose of
preserving and racing PERIOD AUTHENTIC sports and racing cars primarily from
the Fifties and Sixties. There will also be a class for prewar cars and a
class for pre-1976 sportsracers.
    There will be a constitution (which will be available at Savannah) which
will provide the general parameters of car eligibility, membership and
organization of the club.  As in the earlier days of the SVRA, there will be
Group reps for each racing group who will be elected from the participants of
that group.  The Groups will make their own internal rules for the Group,
subject only to the constitutional parameters of the club. A schedule for
next year will include 3-5 races and will be announced in Savannah.
    Primary emphasis will be to bring back the fun in vintage racing.  With
that in mind, there will be plenty of parties and crazy ideas, a minimum of
two 30 minute SEPARATE track sessions per day for each Group, and an
awareness of the role safety should play in the operation of an event.  There
are other vintage sanctioning bodies for replicas and older cars with modern
specifications and equipment attempting to use vintage racing as a cheaper or
less competitive alternative.  We encourage those cars to stay where they
are. What we want is a venue where period authentic cars can race against
other similar and period authentic cars in a friendly environment.
    Alex Quattlebaum, a former owner and silent "founder" of SVRA, started
the ball rolling by renting Roebling Road this December 10-12.  Race Chairman
for the Savannah event are Alex, Jimmy Dobbs, Tom Mittler and me.  If you
have any further questions, call Alex at 843-856-0799 days or me 205-320-0555
evenings.

David Whiteside