Re: Tow vehicle - Hensley Arrow

To: Derek Harling <derek.lola@sympatico.ca>,
Subject: Re: Tow vehicle - Hensley Arrow
From: Walt@chekov.mayfield.hp.com (Walt Boeninger)
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1999 13:28:05 PST
[from Derek Harling]
>1. What do you think the Hensley Arrow actually does? After it was
>mentioned earlier in this thread I went to their web site, studied their
>advertsiing blurb, and left totally unconvinced - mumbo-jumbo about
>converging links or something. I posted a request asking if anyone
>actually knew what it does - or rather how it does it - but so far no
>one has responded.

Like you I only know what the web page says, but if it does what
it says, it will eliminate sway completely.

>2. Like many people I know I am totally against any of the current "sway
>control" gadgets [except maybe as a temporary fix to get you home]. I
>strongly believe these give you "false security" and that one must
>ensure one's rig is properly balanced etc etc - then it WILL track true.

Here i disagree.  I had towed my 24 ft trailer several 1000 miles and
it worked great. Then on a short trip to Laguna Seca, I got into a
*nasty* sway condition that just about scared the Cr*p out of me...
probably caused by a combination of road camber, wind and carma.
I have since been using a friction sway bar, and while I cannot say
it would/could have prevented the sway I ran into, I can say that the
sway control makes a noticeable difference in towing stability.  I
forgot to hook it up one time, and drove a short stretch down I5 to
San Diego and felt uncomfortable without it.  It's worth the $100.

And OBTW, i also find that stability increases at 65-70 MPH.  the downside
is if something goes wrong....you're going 65-70 MPH...;-)

-------
Regards

Walt Boeninger - Nor Cal SAAC         67 GT500     | 67 Shelby T-A #31
http://www.norcal-saac.org            71 Boss 351  | 97 5.0 Explorer
Email: walt@hpwrcxe.mayfield.hp.com     <space>    | 86 Mustang GT
FOR SALE: 68 Corvette Roadster.