FW: vintage racing insurance

To: "'vintage-race@autox.team.net'" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: vintage racing insurance
From: Kerry Seibert <ckchapel@fast.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 21:21:07 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From:   Kerry Seibert [SMTP:ckchapel@fast.net]
Sent:   Friday, September 24, 1999 12:21 AM
To:     'morgans@autox.team.net'
Cc:     'ckchapel@fast.net'
Subject:        vintage racing insurance

(with apologies if you get this twice - server must be acting up)
To Phil R. and any other interested Listers,
So . . . . you've caught the bug!  Glad I could pass it on!  Vintage racing
insurance was definitely on my list of things to look into when I caught the
bug, accelerated by my wife's Christmas present of a driver's school.  I know
of no (nor could I find) any "classic" car insurer who will touch anything to
do with ANY speed or timed event, and this may even include club TSD rallies,
gymkhanas, or autocrossing.  I've been with JC Taylor for 15+ years (and I have
four cars with them) and even after an impassioned plea/explanation, they would
not budge.  And get this, I knew circuit racing/contact would not be covered, I
was just looking for coverage for when the car was on my trailer or in the
paddock.  After a number of phone calls to other companies, I just gave up, the
answer was always the same.  If ANYONE out there has gone through this and has
better news or results, we'd love to hear from you.  Anyway, I finally got
insurance from Parish Motor Sports Insurance (1 800 274 1804) (I think they
have a website too?).  Super nice people.  YOU set the value of your car and
pay the appropriate premium.  No on-track coverage, but you are covered during
transit and in the paddock.
Someone once told me, "Craig, no one should go racing unless you are
financially and emotionally prepared to roll your car up into a little ball and
drop it into a trash can at the end of the day".  Extreme?  Perhaps.  But
certainly there is some risk involved.  I am neither financially nor
emotionally prepared but I am doing it anyway!  I am trying to have a lot of
(relatively) safe fun, which I certainly am!, and keep focused, which so far I
am.  With only three races under my belt, I hesitate to offer advice but I am
trying to live by two rules I have made for myself:  1) Be ALERT and realize
what is happening around you (exp. Way up ahead) and hope you're not in the
wrong place at the wrong time and get caught-up in someone else's mess and 2)
When in doubt, DON'T!, back off!  I've been in a number of situations already
where I "could" have defended my position more "aggressively", or made my car
wider, or tried a questionable late-braking pass.  But I take a split-second,
look at the big picture and say, "This is all for fun remember".  THIMK!  Chip
Brown is spot-on, let the "pros" and  A types pass, in fact give'em a point-by.
 It's all about fun and exploring another avenue of enjoyment with your Morgan.
 At Labor Day Lime Rock, I had more fun "racing" with the Alfas, Volvos, and
MGBs, et al than I ever could have had trying to keep up with the E-types,
whale-tail Porsches, and the world's fastest TR6.  You/I/we will never be the
"fastest" nor will we be the "slowest",  there is always someone to race with,
and even if you are dicing for 20th place, to you (and him or her) this is the
most important race of the day.
Those with more interest in vintage racing should subscribe to the list at
vintage-race@autox.team.net  (via majordomo@autox.team.net).  Currently there
is a riveting discussion going on about the recent carnage at the SVRA event at
the Glen.  Plenty of info on the web about driving schools, tracks, groups, etc.
Phil, go for it.  It really is never too late . . . . and your Moggie will
thank you for it!
Next  "Morgan significant" race will be at Summit Point the first weekend in
October.  Billed by the SVRA group as "Morgans at the Point".  Info on their
website.
Cheers,  Craig Seibert    1968 +8   #611   Duff Morgan Racing
                                       1961 4/4              Ol' Reliable