Sport: Racing or Touring??

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Sport: Racing or Touring??
From: Bahnseye@aol.com
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 21:00:26 EDT
Another consideration about mixing the tourers with the racers:  At Pocono
this summer, in a qualifying race, we're coming off the NASCAR oval into the
chicane- lots of cars, pretty high rate of speed, heavy braking to enter the
chicane.  In front of me is a Morgan (pretty one, too), coming past on my
right is an MG. My intent is to digo around the Morgan, following the MG as
he passes us both on the right.  But the Morgan suddenly brakes to probably
20mph slower than everybody else before turning in.  I have 2 choices: take
him out, or lock 'em up and go straight.  I do the latter, and presto, 4Yoko
008's (2 races old) flat spotted to the cord!  I didn't even get black
flagged because the corner workers saw it all and knew exactly what happened,
and why (they told me so afterward). The Morgan never had a clue what had
happened!

JH Bahn