RE: Feedback on Watkins Glen

To: psr@mnw.net, hayes@mediaone.net
Subject: RE: Feedback on Watkins Glen
From: "Mark Palmer" <mgvrmark@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 05:29:11 PDT
Pat,

Agree with most of your comments & insights, but want to clarify a couple
points on the MG's.  The all-MG race does take a bit of time (one session
Sat AM) but this was not new this year -- we have been doing the Collier Cup
race since about 1985.  Many of the other features you mentioned were new
one-time deals this year.

Also re: open door policy on drivers ... I agree that every race organizer
must be careful about driver qualifications, especially at "major" events.
But, we had zero incidents in the Collier Cup, in fact I can't think of a
single incident in any Collier Cup race since I've been going (1989).  Not
that the MG's are perfect, we're not, but our less-experienced drivers have
done OK to this point.  The one MG involved in the enduro pile-up was a
very, very experienced racer (something like 20+ years SCCA & vintage).

Agree that lots of factors you cite are at work here, but when you look at
the incidents one by one it is hard to generalize the causes.

Regards,
Mark