Re: Flags are easy

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Flags are easy
From: jdesanti@inficon.com
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 10:21:50 -0400

Jerry wrote:

So here is my 2 cents worth...
How can something as simple as flags cause so much confusion?....If you see a
yellow flag , SLOW WAY DOWN untill you can see the reason for the flag. If
you see double yellow flags or waving yellow flags, SLOW WAY DOWN untill you
see the reason for the flag(s)......If you see a red flag SLOW WAY DOWN and
either stop or proced slowly to where you were told to go at the drivers
meeting.....
The main point is that if you see a flag find out the reason it is being
shown and then act acordingly......
Jerry Burr

I wrote:

Its about time some one stated the obvious!

What bothers me to no end is why blatant disregard for the rules is tolerated .
Why hasn't the 13/13
 rule removed offenders from the track.  People should be assessed  points for
ignoring or ignorance
of the flags.  Racing is dangerous rules of conduct must be enforced.  The
entire group 6 race at the
Zippo at the Glen was black flagged so that we could get hammered for passing on
full course yellow.
As I understand it 3 drivers pulled a pass and were arrogant enough  to do it in
front of the timing and
scoring tower.  At the very least these guys should have been black flagged.

I understand that SVRA is a business, and to survive they need to maximize the
number of competitors
that attend each event.  Refusing entry may look bad in the short run but
carnage on the track will
drive off participation much quicker.

The biggest problem seems to be "No Penalties" for bone headed maneuvers,
including the Great
Mr. Moss!  It really appears to me that enforcement of racing rules seems to be
very lax in Vintage
Events (anyone care to dispute this).  Without enforcement anarchy rules.   I
don't give a damm what
he (Moss) did in his life time, if he races with me I expect respectful conduct.
I realize that respectful
conduct is not what "Real Racing"  is about (Mr. Earnhardt) but it is what we
the people in Vintage Racing
expect and must demand from our organizations.  SVRA has a motto "Safe, Fun, and
Fair environment"
and I am sure other organizations believe similarly  It's time to stand behind
these words.

John DeSantis AKA Mustang Man.