Re: Removing Bad Chrome Plate

To: derek.lola@sympatico.ca, shop-talk@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: Removing Bad Chrome Plate
From: EPaul21988@aol.com
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 11:00:14 EDT
In a message dated 9/7/99 9:36:47 PM EST, derek.lola@sympatico.ca writes:

<<
 I have some unique suspension nuts etc on a race car I'm renovating that
 are/were chrome plated but the plating is flaking off. At least I assume
 it it is Chrome plating. I've tried wire brushing, filing, sanding, bead
 blasting etc but all fail to remove the sharp edges from the flaking
 plating.

 Is there a safe chemical way to remove it? Or a better mechanical way?
 I'd be happy either to remove all the plating or just the flaking bits.

 For refinishing I'd be happy either to re-plate or just to paint. What
 plating finish is best for such applications?

 Thx for any and all recommendations.

I just went through rebuilding a 1936 Morgan radiator and I learned a bit
about chrome in the process. If it is chrome any rechroming shop can remove
the chrome in a matter of minutes.  I think it is a chemical process but
could be electrical charging. After the chrome is removed there will still be
nickel on the metal.  It is ground off with an abrasive buffer.
Bob Paul