Hay Bales and Asphalt

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Hay Bales and Asphalt
From: Clark Smith <clark@dnf.com>
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 00:18:32 -0700 (PDT)
>  Hey Clark,
>
>     I just wanted to let you know that "Haybales" is still a great
>     video!  While I'm in no danger of playing the oxide off the
>     mylar, it still thrills everytime I watch it. "Haybales" is
>     especially a favorite at our club's annual midwinter
>     "Autophilia" film festival...
>
>     Anything like it in the works?
>
>     Greg Petrolati

Hi Greg and the list,

Thank you for the kind words.  I means a lot to me to know that folks, like
you, are enjoying "Hay Bales".  When I go to a race like the Wine Country
Classic and the announcer lists off the drivers in the starting grid, its
like a who's who of "Hay Bales" customers.  That's very rewarding because
it makes me feel that I have contributed something to the sport and to the
cars themselves.  These cars deserve to be seen and remembered in their
period as well as in current day.

Because of some lucky advertising and some good press in the 356 Registry
Magazine and Vintage Racecar, I have collected some incredible 16mm racing
footage from a variety of photographers, beginning with the Pebble Beach
races in 1951.  If I stayed with the same format as "Hay Bales and
Asphalt", I could easily make five or six films out of materials I have
here right now.  But that's not my mission.

I am more concerned about losing what is most fragile-  the people who
created, maintained, and drove these cars.  The next generation, those that
will be buying your 2.5 million dollar, pontoon-fendered Testarosa, will
base every belief he has on second-hand information.  His restorations will
be truly re-restorations of your current work, each time with a little less
original information to serve as a foundation.

Its the difference between reading a 1955 magazine about a race in the
present tense and reading a current nostalgic view of that race written
today.

We need to preserve these "vintage people" on videotape.  This has to be
done professionally with future imaging systems (tv of the future) in mind.
And, the film footage I have (and continue to avidly pursue) will support
what these icons have to say.

Frankly, this is what I was built to do.

So, what stops me?  Money.  For instance, I've got a family I didn't have
when "Hay Bales" was created.  I'm happy to say after four years of selling
"Hay Bales" I've broken even. But I can't work for free.

I can contibute the film I've collected.  I can contribute the thirty-some
hours of audio I've recorded.  I can contribute the information of
thousands of vintage magazines, books and programs.  I can contribute
twenty years in the television business.  But, as I walk by the incredible
semis loaded with Porsche 904s, 427 Cobras, and Weber barbecues I'm
reminded that I can't contribute the one ingredient that will fuel this
project.  The only ingredient these guys have.

So here's why I posted what was originally a simple response to Greg's very
kind letter.  Some of you guys have probably far more skill and experience
at pitching projects than I.  Some of you might have an idea of how you
would want to be pitched.  I'm not asking you for money, I'm asking for
ideas.  What do I write to a Bruce McCaw or a Pete Lovely or a Jerry
Seinfeld or a Hewlett-Packard or a General Motors?  How do I inspire them?

If any of you find first-hand preservation of this era valuable and you had
everything but the money, what would you do?

I'm pushing 40, who knows when the Devin will be done, and three of my
"A-list" drivers have died in the last few months (Max Balchowski, Dick
Thompson, Skip Hudson) so excuse the passion.  I hope this message hasn't
appeared self-serving.  It wasn't meant to be.

Thanks for reading,

Clark
Team DNF (someday)

"Hay Bales and Asphalt"
a video featuring vintage footage
of motor racing from 1957 to 1961.
Images and description at
http://www.dnf.com

My 1953 Devin-Porsche Restoration project
http://www.dnf.com/devin-porsche.html