Re: Re: Blue Smoke??

To: lotus.tony@airmail.net, owner-vintage-race@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: Re: Blue Smoke??
From: PaceCars@aol.com
Date: Sun, 9 May 1999 01:26:01 EDT
>OK....here's a puzzler for you techies on the list...
>>>
>>>What makes oil and/or tire smoke blue?  Last time I checked, neither my
>>>oil,
>>>nor my tires were blue......Does letting the blue out of the tires reduce
>>>their grip??....And, does letting the blue out of the engine weaken the
>>>internal bits????   Inquiring minds want to know...;-)
>>
>>  Miles,

There has to be something to this blue thing. I once threw a fan belt on an
FV with one lap to go and just KNEW it would make it to the flag. Heh heh.
When we tore the engine down, we found that the crank (well, the part we
could see that didn't have bearing material welded to it) was very blue and a
few other colors too. I surmise that the crank absorbed the blue that should
have come out the tailpipe as smoke. As for the tires, most of my race cars
didn't have the power to spin the tires so no smoke. The Bocar, on the other
hand, handled so badly I was too scared to notice what color the tire smoke
was. Oh well.
Harold Pace
1959 Devin SS
1972 Mallock U2