Re: Blue Smoke??

To: MHKitchen@aol.com, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Blue Smoke??
From: "" <greenman62@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 08 May 1999 17:09:21 PDT

>From: MHKitchen@aol.com
>To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
>Subject: Blue Smoke??
>Date: Sat, 8 May 1999 12:13:43 EDT
>
>OK....here's a puzzler for you techies on the list...
>
>What makes oil and/or tire smoke blue?  Last time I checked, neither my
>oil,
>nor my tires were blue......Does letting the blue out of the tires reduce
>their grip??....And, does letting the blue out of the engine weaken the
>internal bits????   Inquiring minds want to know...;-)

  Miles,

   This looks like a question for a graphic artist... or a laundry.
   As we learned in art school a tad bit of blue added to white makes
   the white appear whiter (that's why some laundry soaps have
   bluing). It seems to me you have run into defective batches of
   engine oil and tires... The smoke is SUPPOSED TO BE WHITE!

   You can't do much to get better results from the oil companies
   they are international corporate dynasties and will not deign
   listen to you, the "poor-but-honest-vintage-racer". Tire
   companies are a bit different. Contact your tire rep and deMAND a
   better batch of tires. Tell him that the smoke coming off of your
   rubber is not its proper hue. Tell him there's a heavy blue hand
   in the butyl mixing room... Better yet, demand he supply you with
   free tires until this problem is corrected! Write your lawyer...
   He's just champing at the bit to go after these schlockmeisters
   who can't get a tire to smoke white like it's supposed to!

   Why it's just un-American!

   Greg "frothing at the mouth" Petrolati

Greg Petrolati Champaign, Illinois
1962 TR4 (CT4852L)