Re: What is a Safir GT40 Mk. V

To: <DWhitesdJr@aol.com>, <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: What is a Safir GT40 Mk. V
From: "Kubler, Tommy & Diane" <kubler_td@gowebway.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 13:23:40 -0700
The Safir GT-40 is a carry-on production from a group in England that were
involved in the original GT-40 production.  Their serial numbers pickup
where the Ford numbers left off and earlier cars made use of left over
spares.  I had the opportunity to met the gentleman heading up the effort in
Anaheim, CA in 1984 at a Shelby American National Meet.  One of two
prototypes were there and was virtually identical to the MkIIs.  I still
have a promo package from that meeting.  (at the time the dollar was at a
all time high to the pound and prices were VERY reasonable).  The Shelby
American Automobile Club (SAAC) was recognizing the cars (at one time I
recall) as carry-on production along the same lines as the 6-12 '66 GT-350
convertibles Carroll Shelby had put together in the 83-84 time frame.  They
have a website.  The Safir cars were to have the same chassis construction
as the original cars, where-as the 3-4 kit cars produced here in the states
use a steel chassis.  While NAF, GT-40D, and ERA kits may be externally
identical, internally they-re not.

Tom Kubler
1969 BOSS 302 Trans Am--
Chaffey College Collegiate Racing