Limited slip questions update

To: "'vintage-race@autox.team.net'" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Limited slip questions update
From: "Mapes, Glenn" <gmapes@ball.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 08:32:49 -0700
I have been getting several responses to my limited slip questions and
thought I would share some of them.  First, the club I race with (RMVR) does
not allow welded diffs.
It seems there are two basic types of limited slips: a clutch type (such as
Tran-ex) and a gear type such as Quaife.  The gear type are usd mostly for
drag racing where both tires remain on the ground and the power is
transferred to the wheel with the most traction.  If one tire lifts (such as
what happens in road racing) the quaife unit then acts like an open diff -
letting the unloaded wheel spin.  The clutch type does not have this problem
- it transfers all power to the wheel with the most traction at all times.
Any comments?

Glenn Mapes
gmapes@ball.com