Re: limited slip questions

To: "Mapes, Glenn" <gmapes@ball.com>
Subject: Re: limited slip questions
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 09:26:00 -0600 (CST)
On Tue, 23 Feb 1999, Mapes, Glenn wrote:

> > To All
> > What type limited slip would be the best to use in a 64 MGB that is used
> > for vintage racing only (no street driving)?
> > Any idea on how much you can expect lap times to go down just by
> > installing the limited slip?
> > Also, has anyone had experience with the Quaife limited slip?  They can be
> > purchased direct from Quaife at a cost of about $1000 (including
> > shipping).
> >
> > TIA
> > Glenn Mapes
> > 1964 MGB

        If it's going to be used for racing only, why not go the solid axle
        route and have it all welded together? It'd probably be cheaper
        than buying any limited slip dif.

        My TR4 has a locker limited slip (not sure whose). At least the
        guy I bought it from called it a "Detroit Locker". I'm not sure
        but I believe the Quaife's are locker type diffs as well.

        The other type of non slip rear ends use clutches to do the job.
        I believe "Salsibury" rear ends are the "clutch" type limited slip.

        Locker rears take some getting used to. They are either "on" or
        "off" The rear seems to pull a bit to the left under power when
        the locker engages, and you will hear "clunks" occasionally as
        it engages. The locker becomes more evident at low speeds and
        tight turns where the clunking and sometimes a ratchet sound can
        come from the rear.

        I installed my locker for autocrossing initially, but my`4 is
        primarily a street car and a summer month "daily driver". The
        locker has been in the car for about 8-9 years and (knock wood)
        reliable.

        greg petrolati

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois