Re: vintage-race-digest V1 #234 Undercoating, wheel studs, tires and Ind

To: owner-vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: vintage-race-digest V1 #234 Undercoating, wheel studs, tires and Indy Cars?!?!?
From: "Peter L. Krause" <pkrause@ibm.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 07:19:54 -0500
Mordy,
    Joe Pendergast at HSR just sent out a note clarifying his
organizations position on the Hoosier radials, the Goodyear GS-CS and
the BFG G-Force R1. He said that running these on a sports car or sedan
would put you in the slicks group. SVRA has long prohibited "no-tread"
tires. I don't care, I LIKE radials, but I'll be running Kumhos because
that is what Joe and SVRA allow on my sports car...

Bob, Carter, et al,
    Tacking the back of wheel studs (providing they have a good sized
head on them) to a steel hub with the wheel bolted on to center the
assembly does not sound risky to me at all. It is the PLAY that
increases the danger. Stop the movement, stop the deterioration.

Undercoating:
    The easiest, most expedient way to lose undercoating (I build a LOT
of unibody cars...) is by application of "dry ice". After ten or fifteen
minutes of contact (hold it in place with taped-up cardboard)clear it
and strike the panel with a hammer. It'll pop right off! No gooey
residue, no fire danger and you can vacuum the chips out. Call your
local bottled gases company (food sevice works,too)

Pat,
    Gene Wagner in Atlanta used to run a turbo Offy McLaren M 16. Mike
Gourley at Continental Coachworks in Conyers, Georgia would have the
answer to your question. Lots of old electric starters around. Needs a
big battery, though...