Re: Piston pin buttons

To: "Jari Tabell" <jari.tabell@pp.inet.fi>, <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Piston pin buttons
From: "Greg Solow" <gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 03:26:28 -0800
I believe that the best solution is to machine the piston for "spiroloc"
retainers.  Second best would be "true-arc" circlips.  This type or pin
retaining is normally what is used by Porsche, Cosworth, etc.  Using
"buttons" either of aluminum or teflon is an old American hot rod  trick
which was first used I believe when nothing else would keep the pins
retained on AA Fuel  Drag Racing engines.  The loads were  so high using
Nitromethane and Alcohol  fuels along with very high supercharger pressures
that the wrist pins were bending and would hammer out any retaining pins
used.  I don't think that your Spit will have that problem.
Using buttons runs the risk of slight wear of the cylinder walls by the
buttons but more importantly, there is a risk of debris getting caught in
the pin hole and causing sever cylinder wall damage.  In any case, should
you decide that you must use buttons, be sure to drill a good size hole in
them so that no pressure can build up behind them. Pressure would force the
buttons out against the cylinder walls hard enough to cause real damage.

Regards, Greg Solow