Re: Piston pin buttons

To: derek.lola@sympatico.ca, cak@dimebank.com
Subject: Re: Piston pin buttons
From: JWoesvra@aol.com
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 11:55:24 EST
In a message dated 2/2/99 10:50:36 PM Eastern Standard Time,
derek.lola@sympatico.ca writes:

<< Low melting point? - Oh! - we used it for buttons on the ends of piston
 pins in my Mini Cooper S - seemed to work OK - were we just lucky?
 Derek

 Chris Kantarjiev wrote:

 > Teflon is pretty good stuff. Not as hard as delrin, but harder/firmer than
 > rubber. The thing to beware is that it has a relatively low melting
 > point (I'm remembering about 250 degF) and emits toxic fumes as it melts.

On this subject: What is the best thermoplastic for this application? I have
used what I thought was Teflon with good results. I have also encountered some
white plastic that I thought was Teflon that melted causing obvious problems.
I now test the material with a flame first. I would think that a melting point
of at least 500 degrees would be the minimum needed. Perhaps higher. With
combustion temps of up to 1500 degrees, what would the temp be at the piston
pin? Any thoughts?

Jack Woehrle