Re: The Perfect Vintage Race Car

To: "Wm. Severin THompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Subject: Re: The Perfect Vintage Race Car
From: David Laver <dlaver@ms.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 1998 20:03:58 +0000
Wm. Severin THompson wrote:

> 1959 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite with a removable hardtop...
>
> Perfect.
>
> WST

Much as I proclaim the benefits of an Aurelia I also have (she thinks its
hers...) a road going 1965 Midget which is a lot of fun.  I don't fancy too
many long road trips and she, for sure, can't fit a weekend's luggage in it.
But if its a racing car first and foremost and its going to go the long
distances on a trailer then add to the list:-

- small and light to go on a small and light trailer
- small enough to go in a single garage and still be able to work on it
- components you can lift
- good accessibility

...and for a Sprite that giant killer ability that is so much fun.  The Aurelia
is staying a road car with full trim and bumpers to give me a good supply of
excuses for not being as fast as all these little 998s!!  Driving an Austin 7
round the outside of Astons and Bentleys and Buggatis is also a giggle.  If
yours is the billion dollar mega machine then second is going to be a
disappointment and first not a lot of fun.  In my view better to chase and
better still in something that wins hearts.  I've had a lot of fun with an
Austin 7 - got very cold and wet in it as well but on ballance another
excellent car.

David