Authentic Vintage Parts

To: vintage race list <vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Authentic Vintage Parts
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@forbin.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 18:58:17 -0500
Genuine vintage parts? Hey, this is fun. I'm considering re-doing my car
to 'true' vintage configuration.

1. 2" seat belts will be just fine.

2. Roll hoop braced with just two diagonal braces - just like my Sprite
in 1963 - saves weight anyway.

3. Pirelli Stelvio street tires -- I know where there are four that are
30 years old -- dynamite tires back then, and cheap...

4. Will extract vintage air from some 30 year old tires at the junk
yard.

5. ditto trans and rear end grease. Ever notice how thick and gooey it
gets after 30 years? gotta be good stuff.

6. They only sold one grade of brake fluid back then --

7. I know the guy who now owns my old cotton drivers suit -- but finding
original 20 Mule Team Borax for fire retardant will be a challenge...

8. The nice glossy paint on my current car may be an aerodynamic
enhancement -- maybe I can find some of that Sh--ty ol British stuff (By
the way, did you know that nitrocellulose lacquer, used on U.S. cars
immediately after the war, and still used occasionally for insanely
beautiful classic restorations -- was made in WWII gunpowder plants from
the same stuff? I've used it -- )

9. Best gas I could get in the 70's was to mix Sunoco highest test and
aviation gas, but to take care of lower specific gravity of avgas I had
to open up the S.U. jets --

10. I guess I'll draw the line at accommodations -- sleeping in the open
pickup bed, under the stars, at Wilmot Hills, would be too hard on the
ol' bod -- besides -- Wilmot Hills is no more...
--
uncle jack
TR4 Rallye Replica vintage racer