RE: SCCA vintage race

To: "'Brian Evans'" <brian@uunet.ca>
Subject: RE: SCCA vintage race
From: Keith Kaplan <keithka@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 17:38:39 -0700
Single door bars are legal in IT.  To encourage drivers to use 'NASCAR
style' door bars that leave more crush room before hitting the driver,
they've recently ('96 I think) allowed IT cars to remove the door panel
& window (driver's side only) if your door bar(s) require it.  I guess
it's easier to convince a driver to make a safety improvement if he's
getting a performance improvement in trade.  IT rules also don't require
a fuel cell, but if you have one, certain cars are allowed to place the
fuel cell in a location that improves weight distribution.  If you keep
the stock tank, it has to be in the stock location.

Disclaimer -- I know nothing of this incident other than what I've read
here.  I don't know anything about Mr. Israel's roll cage.  I agree that
we should do what we can to learn from these things.  Another question
is whether his cage had the (required for IT in '97) full width cross
bar on the main hoop.