Watkins Glen Specials/AQs and other info sources

To: Tom Crain <tomcrain@gulftel.com>
Subject: Watkins Glen Specials/AQs and other info sources
From: Jarl&Carol <deboer@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 08:39:05 -0700
Tom Crain wrote:

> I have sent this  or a similar message to several of you who were  seeking
>information on a car, driver or race history.  Perhaps it would be helpful if
>I were to broadcast it.
>
> Automobile Quarterly, published 4 times a year for the last 36 years, is an
>excellent source of information on nearly any car of note.  It's features are
>well researched, written and photographed.  Subject matter covers cars,
>marques, tracks, designers, drivers, race results, restoration and automotive
>art.  Many specials and one offs are covered as well.
>
> Complete sets sometimes show up for sale in Hemmings, Auto Week,
>etc..............   or find someone who has a set and will share his research
>library......         Good luck!

To add to this, there is an index for vol 1-20 followed by a series of 4
or 5 year ones which can help you find the coverage you want. You can
often buy individual issues at used bookstores, usually from $10-15
each. I bought a large number at the auto swap meet in Pasadena to get
ones to send to a friend in New Zealand, but had to buy "batches" and
have about 70 left. I would pass those on for $6 a pop.  Race programs
from the period often had one-page stories on some of the better known
specials but those are hard to find and not cheap - I've spent around
3000 over the years to gather my collection of about 350. There were
also a half a dozen books in the Fawcett and Trend book series that
between them covered nearly 200 different specials. These were mostly
printed between about 1956 and 1962. I've got them, but no extras. Of
course, the advantage I've had in gathering a roomful of books,
magazines, and other paper is that I started collecting them in 1951 -
before I could afford a car! Jarl