Re: VW Question

To: malcox.ppp@napanet.net, vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: VW Question
From: PaceCars@aol.com
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 1997 20:58:40 -0400 (EDT)
Malcolm Cox asked:
>A friend is a VW bug devotee and asks how come there are >never any VW
>bugs in vintage racing, my smartass reply was well they >probably were
>never appropriate for racing in the 60's.

>But on reflection, seems that just about everything else was >raced in
>the 60's. In England for example Autin A30's and A40's, Morris >Oxfords
>etc etc, all quite inappropriate for racing, were often raced in >"saloon
>car" racing.

Here in the US, VW's were raced on a club level. I have a number of photos of
Beetles running in sports car races and sedan races in the 1950's and '60's.
Later, EMPI buit at least one semi-competitive Super Beetle for the Trans-Am
series. There is no reason a VW with period (no 2-liter ground pounders) EMPI
or Okraksa speed equipment could not be raced with many vintage groups. The
crucial thing would be that there is now a lot of hop-up stuff that could nt
be used, and the prospective racer would hve to bone up on period regulations
and equipment so as not to be turned away at tech. They would be welcomed at
CVAR.
Harold Pace
Mallock U2