Re: What's Vintage

To: Jack W Drews <vinttr4@forbin.com>
Subject: Re: What's Vintage
From: thomkuby@ridgecrest.ca.us (Thom Kuby)
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 07:06:41 -0700 (PDT)
>Even though this thread is way too long, I've got to add to it --
>
>Last weekend at Road America there were 500 competition cars, 50,000
>spectators, and who knows how many tractor/trailer transporters?
>(snip)
>I must say, I enjoyed it all -- the cars with history, the cars without
>history, and even the phony cars. I'm intelligent enough to know the
>difference between all of those. Apparently there are lots of people who
>share that enjoyment -- why else would 50,000 people pay $35 to watch
>cars who are not racing for money, trophies, or points -- but just want
>the thrill of seeing this wonderful stuff?

yes...yes...and yes...

on all of the above.  it's about time one of you guys spoke the absolute
truth about vintage and why we even bother with it.  Elkhart (along with
Blackhawk Farms) was my main hang during the '70s when I was too young and
too broke to get out on the track(s).  Now, out here in southern CA, I am
building one o'them "cheater Porsche" 912s, so I can mix it up with you
Brits.  Who cares about winning? I don't.  The point is the cars, the
people, and the enthusiasm...To me, nothing else matters.   Skill-wise I'm
a beginner, you can find me in the back of the pack,  staying the hell outa
the more experienced driver's way.

Now I guess we can croak this thread...

Cheers
Thom Kuby
Porsche 912 -- With a stock beginner's motor in it...