"gentlemanly art of vintage racing"

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: "gentlemanly art of vintage racing"
From: Jim Hayes <hayes@mediaone.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 09:00:55 -0400
Malcolm Cox wrote:

> Of sailboat racing, it has been said that a group of gentlemen get
> together to race sailboats, then some sonofabitch wins.
> Any parallels here?
Yes, indeed.
I have a story to go with this, but with the current bile on the list,
am reluctant to post it! But here goes...

Last race was VSCCA NHIS, a track I have tons of time on and know
intimately, incl. the tricks on the back side of the course that save
seconds if you take oddball lines. As a result, my 1600 Alfa usually
runs with the fastest production cars, ending up in the top 5. Anyway, I
actually
won the Saturday race, beating Tony Wang's 300S Maserati who spun in
front of me (that was a heart-stopper) and the local hotshoe (Tivvy
Shinton) in his XK140MC coupe who pushed me for at least 7-8 laps. It
was a very hard run race.
Sunday, I led the first two laps until Tivvy tried a inside
pass on turn one,  we went side by side through 2 and I tried an
inside re-pass on 3. We, ahem, traded a minor bit of paint and both were
disqualified. And quite appropriately got our wrists slapped.
I have to admit, it was the first time for me to fall prey to the "red
mist", and to have contact. Really embarassing, since I have always
preached
the "gentlemanly art of racing" in vintage. Goes to show that when the
flag drops, well, you know...maybe racing is racing.
--
--
Jim Hayes  Winchester, MA, USA