Re: What is vintage?

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: What is vintage?
From: DSRGR@aol.com
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 13:58:54 -0400 (EDT)

>  Meanwhile, the owner of my old TR4 would be happily accepted into
>  this exclusive fraternity of "period race car" owners and drivers,
>  although he neither owned, built nor drove the car during the
>  "period" in question.
>
>  What's overlooked is the fact that, as a result of my experience back
>  in 1963 I also have a "personal" racing history. That history belongs
>  to me - not the current owner of the remnants of my old car.
>
>  Perhaps vintage racing ought to be limited to DRIVERS with a period
>  race history . . .

 Have to reply to this one because it hits close to home.  I also "paid my
dues" in my younger days working corners, ,timing, driving the tow truck, and
whatever else I could do to be involved. Very limited income, family and
night school frustrated the efforts when the reflexes were still those of the
dreaming young lion. My $150 bug-eye-in-a-basket meant bologna sandwiches and
sleeping in the back of the car but i managed to get in the two drivers
schools and a couple of regionals before reality set in. Pit crewed and
autocrossed after that.

Family grown and gone now and can afford that 60's D Sports racer I so
coveted. Its not period authentic but then, neither am I. Fortunately, VARA,
(bless em) lets me get out on the track and re live those youth years. My
inexpensive SCCA ITA car takes care of the competitive adrenaline rush that I
crave and leaves the vintage for the youth that dreamed. Vintage track time
is a glow (wide smile) rather than the red hot excitement and continues with
the parties and cameraderie after.

One story to share.... At the drivers school VARA required of me was a Mark
Donahue/Penske Javelin.  I was corner captain at the War Bonnet Trans-Am race
in 69 and sat on the wall between races inches from these two as they talked
about race strategy.  Since we were both novices i got to go out with the
Javelin. He was being careful so my DSR could do as I pleased. I can't
describe the feeling. Talk about going back in time.

SO, I agree with the writer,  that Vintage racing is more than just cars.  I
could not afford to restore my DSR to perfect 65 condition and it wouldn't be
half as safe or reliable if I did. There a place to race for the person that
wants competition.  Fortunately, I also found a club (VARA) that seeems to
use common sense and stresses safety first and FUN second. The other clubs
that you all are talking about can muddle around in the "authenticity issue"
and who should be allowed on track. Meanwhile, we're having fun. Thanks to
Chris, Todd and a hundred others for keeping VARA the way it is.

Gene Rolfe, 65 Ocelot DSR
(insert funny phrase here)