Re: Vintage Parts & Prep

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Vintage Parts & Prep
From: "Roger Garnett" <rwg1@cornell.edu>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 14:26:57 -500
On  7 Jul 97 at 12:37, Brian Evans wrote:

> The rules, in order to apply generically to a wide range of cars, are too
> ambiguous to be applied specifically to any one car without a degree of
> interpretation.

> Many examples come to mind - ribcase gearboxes in bugeye sprites,

This one seems in the spirt of most rules- it is mostly a newer factory version
of the original type part, without offering any significant change in
performance. That, plus the fact that it is the only pratical replacement part
available.

> disc brakes on the same cars,

A slightly wider call. According to Geoff Healey, the Dunlop disks they used
on the DMHC prepared cars were options, available to anyone private owner who
wanted to order them. While not an exact replacement part, they are the
"factory provided" later replacement, and are another case of same
functionality as the original.

I'm sure VSCCA might be picker than most about specific elegibility, but disk
brakes were certainly a period piece for Sprites.

Healey did produce a Falcon fibreglass bodied Bugeye Sprite for Sebring in
1960, so the technology was there, and used by the works effort. Still, this
one would probably have been beyond what most private cars would have used. At
what point isn't a same type of modification athentic?

New pistons are allowable, as are new carbs, of original or period type. If
another company started making similar, but not exact replacement SU carb
reproductions, I would expect them to be allowed.

5 Speeds, or Hewlands in a Sprite? No, not until Healey used them in th
emid-60s, as well as some with MGB type overdrives. Limited slip? Ah, there
were period limited slips, at least by the early 60's. That one needs some
checking.

SVRA does have a list of acceptable mods for each model/year of car. They may
also let something more run, but they reserve the option to bump a car up a
class if it has more. So, there are also ways to deal with exceptions.

Hopefully, at some point, we will be able to document acceptable mods and parts
accross more than one organization, which will make it easier to run with more
than one club without haveing to rebuild ones car for each event!

 Roger Garnett  (Roger-Garnett@cornell.edu)  http://www.wayward.team.net/
                  "The Wayward Sports Car Centre"
      "All donations of stray, orphaned, odd, neglected, etc.
       sports cars and bits in need of a good home accepted."