1972 240Z Suspension

To: "Vintage Racers on Team.net" <vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: 1972 240Z Suspension
From: "John A. Rollins" <nobozos@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 1997 09:33:45 -0700
Again, I find myself seeking the "truth" from the cyber-sleuths of
Vintage Racing.  As the local SCCA Vintage Race Coordinator, I am often
faced with having to determine the legality of various vehicles
presented as "period authentic" and, just as often, find that I haven't
a clue.  So here's the question.

What types of suspension were run on the Datsun 240Z in 1972?  Was a
coil-over package available and was it legal in production-class
racing?  What about Trans-AM?  I have had to "banish" a couple of 911s
for using coil-overs and want to make sure that I'm not making a mistake
in asking a competitor to replace a perfectly legal part if, indeed, it
was available in the year of manufacture.  Unfortunately, my knowledge
of early Datsuns is vague, at best, so I'll try to get some help from
y'all.

If there is a source for this type of information on the Net, that would
be helpful as well.  Thanks, in advance, for your help!

*8o)