Re: Nitrogen in tires (P.S.)

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Nitrogen in tires (P.S.)
From: Simon Favre <favres@engmail.ulinear.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 11:23:04 PDT
FYI, a full sized cylinder of compressed Nitrogen at 3000 PSI contains
about as much energy as six sticks of Dynamite!  I have worked with
these in industrial environments in the past.  I have been told
repeatedly that if a cylinder gets tipped over, and the valve body gets
knocked off, the cylinder will go thru solid walls like they were tissue
paper.  I've seen great arrangements for keeping these things safe, and
I've seen LOUSY attempts at gas cylinder safety at the track.  One of
the best I saw was a cart that kept the cylinder in a horizontal
position all the time, with wheels underneath and a cage around the
valve body.  If you decide to use Nitrogen, PLEASE keep safety in mind
while transporting or moving the cylinder around at the track.