Re: Porsche 914 in Historics

To: Walt@chekov.mayfield.hp.com (Walt Boeninger)
Subject: Re: Porsche 914 in Historics
From: thomkuby@ridgecrest.ca.us (Thom Kuby)
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 11:01:03 -0700
Walt Boeninger wrote:

>[from Andrew Pursey]
>
>>Production Sports Cars (1970-1977).  I won't give the complete list of =
>>eligible vehicles (email me direct if you want the lot), but the Porsche =
>>entries comprise:  911 up to 3-litre, 914, 916, 924 and 928.  At present =
>
>OK, so what is a 916?  Or is this what we call a 914-6 ?

No...a 916 is NOT a 914-6.
The 916 was a proposal to compete head-on with the then current Ferrari
Dino 246.  The 916 had a larger engine (than the 914/6), welded steel top,
steel flares, fuch alloys, special bumpers and it went like stink.  The
bean counters killed it, so it never saw production.  However, Porsche
built eleven of them, for distribution to Family members and some VERY
CLOSE friends...sigh.

the 914-6 was the production six cylinder 914 that Porsche built 3381 of...

-The 914/6 GT is yet another animal...this was the 914/6 with the "914 GTR
option" (steel flares, fiberglass hood etc) only 12 intact cars actually
left the factory...but wait, there's more...
-There were an unkown number of 914/6s built to GT specs BY PORSCHE to
specific customer instructions.  Nobody knows how many got built this
way...But there's more...
-There are even more 914/6s that were built privately using all factory
parts supplied by Porsche but, when is it a true GT? when it has both the
flares and the carrera 6 engine? or just the engine? or just the
flares?...as you guys can probably see by now, tracking the production of
914/6 GT is damn near impossible.

the "914 GTR Option" had the following pieces:
-2.0ltr Carrera 6 engine with twin plug
-Strengthed chassis front and rear
-fiberglass bumpers replacing the steel ones
-fiberglass hood
-reinforced roof with metal frame
-race models had roll bars and racing seats
-100ltr gas tank
-rear stabilizers in trunk
-steel fender flares

I can understand why some vintage groups would waffle at allowing 914/6
"GT"s to run...it would take a pretty sharp Tech Inspector/Event Steward to
determine what's fake and what's real...unless of course a particular car
showed up with documented history-like one of the Marathon de la Route cars
for example...

anyway...just a little Porsche Trivia for y'all.  Hope I answered the
question Walt put forward.

Cheers
Thom Kuby ("card-carrying Porscheholic")
'74 914
'68 912

PS-there were two more 914s...built with 8 cyl engines by Porsche, known as
914/8s.  one was Dr. Porsche's personal ride (he put 10,000 miles on it)
and the other belonged to Piech, the nephew.  Both are powered by the
flat-8 908 motor.  I think both cars live in the Porsche Museum now...