AN Hard Lines

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: AN Hard Lines
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 11:45:35 -0400
I'm about to plumb my new race car, and I'm considering using AN flare ends
on hard lines for the chassis brake plumbing.  In the past, I've used AN
steel braided flex lines (Earls and Aeroquip) that I've assembled myself,
with the typical British double flare hard lines, but I dislike the SAE to
AN adaptors that you need to have to connect the hard line to the -3 flex line.

While some people have recommended going to all steel braided lines, I kind
of like to see hard lines on an old car.  Anybody have experience in using
the AN hard lines, and getting/using the flaring tool and fittings?  Also,
while I'm planning to use -3 for brakes and -4 for clutch, do you think they
would also be good in -6 for fuel and -10 for oil?  Can you use aluminium
tubing, and do you need special steel tubing or is normal 3/16 bundy tubing
ok for -3?

Thanks in advance for any comments,

Brian Evans