Re: Change my plans ?

To: bagz@pacbell.net
Subject: Re: Change my plans ?
From: vinracer@ix.netcom.com
Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 23:32:15 -0500 (CDT)
On 05/20/97 19:48:33 you wrote:

>I was saddened to hear about the fatal incident this past weekend.I am
>just getting started in vintage racing, and this news has made me wonder
>wether I am going in the right direction.
>>From the people I have spoken with,I have been under the impression that
>vintage was for having fun, being around some good people and savoring
>the sights and sounds , and enjoying the feel of the older cars on the
>track. A sport and hobby where fun and enjoyment are the order of the
>day.
>I find that I have some anger over all this. I am sure that all of us
>have experienced the feeling when you see your favorite hobby  or
>pasttime become full of participants who just do not give a shit. Who
>believe that this or that particular rule just does'nt apply to them.
>People who have no manners or sportsmanship and continually act up, and
>then holler the loudest when someone else acts up like they do.
>I am considering joining VARA, and attended the Pomona event this past
>weekend to see how their events were run and to get a feel for the
>people involved. For the most part I was impressed with what I saw,but I
>did see some overly agressive driving by more than a few participants.
>One of the most obvious was watching a group of  six cars try to
>negotiate the tight chicane two by two with only a few feet between
>groups. I could not tell if any contact was made ....but why take the
>chance. It is supposed to be for fun !
>Some people may call me a pussy, but I think that if you want to drive
>that aggressivly then you need to be in a different type of racing.
>Spending my hard earned and difficult to come by funds on my car and
>equipment and then to have to worry about those few who don't care makes
>me wonder.
>
>Peer pressure works. Let people know how you feel. Let your organization
>know how you feel.This is our chosen and worked for activity and we
>should not let those few take away or diminish our fun !
>
>Michael Begley

Michael;

I don't know if it was a full moon, Hale-Bob or what, but this past weekend
just seemed to be a bad one for vintage racing in general, what with the
death and the incidents at WCC.  I attended vintage races for two years
before I started racing and have been involved with CSRG for four years.  I
have attended WCC every year for the past six years.  This was by far WCC's
worst year as far as accidents and/or incidents were concerned since I've
been going.

I've vintage raced with CSRG, VARA and SCCA.  The most aggressive driving
was in SCCA; the least in CSRG and VARA in between.  CSRG has a driver
observer program where headphones are manned by drivers and notes are taken
about any incidents of bad driving reported by the corner workers and those
drivers are called aside for a consultation.  If the same names keep coming
up over and over than further action is taken.  VARA requires an immediate
trip to the black flag station for any spins, two wheels off for a
consultation and determination as to whether the driver will be allowed back
out in that session or have to sit out for a while.  SCCA requires a
consultation with the stewards after the session for any spins, off course
excursions, etc.

Change your plans?? Please don't; next to sex, racing is the most fun you
can have.  Yes, auto racing, whether it is professional or vintage, is
dangerous and things are going to happen; parts are going to break, drivers
are going to make mistakes, some drivers are going to be overly aggressive.
And, unfortunately there may be a death.  Talk about your feelings with the
people who organize and oversee the club races of the club you are
considering joining .  If you don't like what you hear; then join another
club. I like CSRG and think we do a good job of policing our own as our
incidents are minimal, but they do happen.  Like I said, things happen.

Did you talk to the drivers involved in the side by side racing in the
chicane?  This might have been a group of very experienced drivers who had
raced together many times and they were having a blast.  If you are on the
track and don't want to mix it up like that, then don't.  Nobody is going to
care.  I've gone side by side with people through many turns in close
quarters front and back especially at the start of a race and consider it a
blast.  This was after I had some experience; when I started racing I would
kind of hang back till I saw where everybody was going, then I just followed
along.  That's not chicken, its being smart.

Have you complete any driver training courses?  If not, do so.  One of the
first things you need to decide on is: Having experienced driving on the
track at high speed; do I like it?  You might find that once you've tried it
you don't like it.  If you decide you like it then attend many more driver
education events or courses to bring you confidence level up.  I did three
before I entered my first event.

Good luck and let me know how things work out.

Note:  Heh racer@aub.com; what do you think??  Let Michael have some
comments from you.

Jerry Slaten
vinracer@ix.netcom.com