Air compressors

To: "vintage" <vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Air compressors
From: "Ted Rodgers" <Rodgers356@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 10 May 97 05:23:06 UT
I'm new to this list so please accept my apologies if this topic has been
covered recently.  I'm in the market for a vertical air compressor, in the 60
gallon range.  Sources I've talked to indicate that for continuous operation
you need a twin cylinder, that the self lubricating ones are not as long
lasting, and that the tank should be cast iron.  I'm sure there are other
features I should consider.  Any thoughts?   I'm also wondering about anyone's
experience with brands and models.  I know Home Depot sells Campbell Hausfeld,
which my repair shop said is good, and that my local tool store sells and
recommends Puma, which they say is even better.  Since it's been over 20 years
since I bought my last one I haven't kept track of brands.  I'll be using it
for normal shop air, to operate tools such as a die grinder and possibly
sander, as well as painting, although just one thing at a time.

Any thoughts, recommendations or experience would be appreciated.

Ted Rodgers