Re: Reno race canceled

To: favres@engmail.ulinear.com
Subject: Re: Reno race canceled
From: Sandi4JH@aol.com
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 16:50:09 -0500 (EST)

<< Subj:        Re: Reno race canceled
 Date:  97-03-07 16:21:04 EST
 From:  favres@engmail.ulinear.com (Simon Favre)
 Sender:        owner-vintage-race@autox.team.net
 To:    vintage-race@autox.team.net

 >>CSRG has had to cancel it's June 14-15 vintage race at Reno Nev.  this
 >>year.  The reason is that the Hilton Hotel lost money and pulled the
 >>plug.

 What?  That's really too bad.  That was a fabulous event.  If they were
 losing money, why didn't they separate the race fees and the hotel room?
 Having both in a package for a fairly typical race fee sounded too good
 to be true.  I wouldn't have minded paying for the hotel room at normal
 Reno rates.  I thought we had Buick as a sponsor.  What's the deal?  If
 they were expecting sell-out crowds of spectators from day one, they
 must not have had a good financial analysis of the sport.  I wonder how
 long it took the Monterey Historics to turn into the circus it is now.

 The only other thing I would suspect is that since they have an Indycar
 race at the same venue, they might mistakenly believe that the vintage
 event would take spectators away from the Indycars.  It could also be
 the sight of those sparsely populated grandstands, but I think they
 should have given it more time.

 >Hey, sounds like a good chance to attend the VARA race at Buttonwillow.
 >An excellent event at an excellent facility.  Same weekend (June 14-15).

 I'm sorry, NOTHING beats having a fully stocked, air-conditioned mega
 hotel right next to the paddock!  ;=) Last year we had a great dinner
 show and a traditional 50's party.  The weather was great, the racing
 was fun.  It was a blast.  I'm bummed.

Hi,
Just got back from and HMSA race at Leguna. There is going to be a special
HMSA race at the Buchanan Airport in Concord on the same date as the
cancelled Reno race. It appears that Buchanan Field was originally a race
track before it was an airport. HMSA is limiting to 40 cars, 2 race groups
and 1956 or earlier cars. They are going to give preference to cars that
actually raced there originally, then let others in to fill up. There is a
Sheraton Hotel right next to the airport. Could almost be a good as Reno and
sure is a lot closer to the Bay Area.
Sandi