Re: Reno race canceled

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Reno race canceled
From: Simon Favre <favres@engmail.ulinear.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 1997 10:10:36 PST
>>CSRG has had to cancel it's June 14-15 vintage race at Reno Nev.  this
>>year.  The reason is that the Hilton Hotel lost money and pulled the
>>plug.

What?  That's really too bad.  That was a fabulous event.  If they were
losing money, why didn't they separate the race fees and the hotel room?
Having both in a package for a fairly typical race fee sounded too good
to be true.  I wouldn't have minded paying for the hotel room at normal
Reno rates.  I thought we had Buick as a sponsor.  What's the deal?  If
they were expecting sell-out crowds of spectators from day one, they
must not have had a good financial analysis of the sport.  I wonder how
long it took the Monterey Historics to turn into the circus it is now.

The only other thing I would suspect is that since they have an Indycar
race at the same venue, they might mistakenly believe that the vintage
event would take spectators away from the Indycars.  It could also be
the sight of those sparsely populated grandstands, but I think they
should have given it more time.

>Hey, sounds like a good chance to attend the VARA race at Buttonwillow.
>An excellent event at an excellent facility.  Same weekend (June 14-15).

I'm sorry, NOTHING beats having a fully stocked, air-conditioned mega
hotel right next to the paddock!  ;=) Last year we had a great dinner
show and a traditional 50's party.  The weather was great, the racing
was fun.  It was a blast.  I'm bummed.