Re: Racing a Special

To: Clark Smith <clarksmith@localhost.sympatico.ca>
Subject: Re: Racing a Special
From: Mike & Jaye Rosen <mra@sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 16:38:05 -0500
Clark Smith wrote:
>I race a Special here in Canada and IMHO there's no feeling like answering the
>question "What the hell is that?". It sure beats "I had one just like in high
>school" which I used to get when I raced a Mini Cooper
>
> Can 1300ccs, even in an 800 pound chassis, ever give a thrill?

You bet! Mine is about 1200 lbs and 1000cc( 75hp on the dyno)- can still scare
me but it
really depends on the performance potential of the 1300 engine. A lot of
specials were
based on the 1200 Ford sidevalve which really never was able to make much power

 Can anyone...> compare a  car with a similar history that might lead me to a
value when
> completed?  Is this a once in a lifetime opportunity?  No matter what I pay
> for this wreck, can it ever make financial sense?  Or, should I be so
> emotionally wrapped up in the prospect of owning it that money shouldn't be
> a consideration?

Unfortunately Clark, unless the Special is REALLY significant, an Ol Yaller
etc. they only
have as much 'sale' value as someone is will to pay - you can't look it up a
price guide
but that's beside the point with a Special - the real value is the connection
with both the
era it was built and the builder - Specials are a real insight into what racing
in that period
was really like.  Mine, which was class champion in 1958 & '59 and won 24
straight
races has trouble keeping up with a good Sprite today, (which shows how over
developed most contemporary Vintage race cars are) Plus , no race ever makes
financial sense...they're black holes - as one wag put it "If you want to make
a small
fortune in racing...start with a large one"
Good luck
Mike - 1958 VAY Canada Class Special