Re: Racing a Special

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Racing a Special
From: "Roger Garnett" <rwg1@cornell.edu>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 14:38:41 -0500
Clark Smith writes:

> For some time, I have been interested in restoring and racing a unique car
> with some actual, traceable racing history.

If that is your real goal, you need to decide how you want to get there.

> Well he called me with a unique special made by a somewhat successful race
> car designer and builder here on the West Coast

This sounds potentially neat. But, you're gonna have to think real hard about
how much time & $$$ you want to spend before you can even start to race.

The general rule it that it's almost always cheaper to start with a prepped
car, even if it needs some work, because you get to take advantage of someone
else' expenses on development and goodies. And it even more likely to be
faster than building from scratch. But, if the only car you are interested in
is one you have to build, then that's what you have to do first.

Scratch built or restorations of race cars can be a lot more enjoyable if
you've already spent enough time with a race car to satisfy your desires. Even
if you have to sell one car to finance the next, you have the experience to
draw on and plan with.

---

I have the remains of an interesting 50's tube framed, MG based, hillclimb
special that might be great fun to build and drive someday, but it can only be
a long and fairly expensive project. In the mean time, I'm racing a Sprite,
learning a lot about racing, driving, preperation, and having some fun,
without having an indifinite wait for the car to be real. (Wish I had more
history- I'm Still looking for info about the "Belknap Hillclimb" of 1957, and
am open to donations of an MG TD or TF doner car for driveline, suspension,
and various other components...)

 Roger Garnett  (Roger-Garnett@cornell.edu)  http://www.wayward.team.net/
                  "The Wayward Sports Car Centre"
      "All donations of stray, orphaned, odd, neglected, etc.
       sports cars and bits in need of a good home accepted."
        "The drop off bin is right there- behind the barn..."