Elva info?

To: "Vintage Race List" <vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Elva info?
From: Bill Kincaid <kincaid@apple.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 97 11:09:16 -0700
Hi all,

I'm a new subscriber in the San Francisco area.
My credentials are maybe a bit suspect since my
baby isn't actually a vintage car, though it IS
perhaps of historical interest- it's a Gurney
Eagle Formula Ford, which I race in SCCA out
here.

On to my question- I've been thinking about a
modest (say $20-30K) investment (is that an
oxymoron where racing cars are concerned?!)
in a vintage sports racer or maybe formula
car.  I'd like something fun, pretty, and
with some appreciation potential; I'm open
to basket cases and unrestored cars.  One
such opportunity I recently came across is
an Elva MkVI, and I wondered whether anyone
on this list had any advice or words of
wisdom generally on Elvas.  I've heard them
damned with faint praise and described as
"nervous little cars" and generally inferior
to their Lotus competition.  The particular
one I'm looking at is a basket case, no
engine or gearbox, but mostly complete
otherwise and with new bodywork and wheels.
With a sizeable outlay for a twin cam and
Hewland, plus restoring what IS there and
putting it all together, I'd end up with a
fairly expensive project.  Think it's worth
it?  Is there much of a demand for these
cars?

Pointers, prejudices, instruction, or
whatever gratefully accepted.

-Bill Kincaid